Wednesday, May 29, 2013

San Antonio Day 2

Howdy!

Hey, how is your day going? Things are good here in Tucson.

I got all of my errands taken care of and now things are starting to slow down just a tad, smile!

Here is what happened on our second day in San Antonio, Texas. Enjoy!

22 May 13

We slept until 8:45am. Can you believe that? Wow, that is way out of the norm for us, smile! At least Elise did, she has no idea when I got up and I am not telling.

I got showered and and all set for our trip to Austin, Texas. We went to have breakfast at a place right across the street called "Jim's" it is like an IHOP. 

Elise ordered scrambled eggs with cheese, ham, bacon, hash browns, and toast. I ordered the same thing except I had pork chops. We had plenty of coffee as well. 

We discovered there is a movie theater right next door, so we are going to go on Friday night.

We drove to Austin, Texas and we walked around the downtown area. It is a very funky town and Elise loved it. We stopped in the visitor's center to get info on the sights and winery locations. We stopped in Starbucks for a Frappacino, that was delicious.

We got into our car and we were off to explore. We had a little trouble finding the wineries, but once we did we were glad. We stopped at "Duchman" winery. We had a very nice wine tasting. So nice that we bought 4 bottles to take back home with us. All made from Texas grown grapes.

We are starting to get hungry. Wine will do that to you, let me tell you. We stopped in a place called the "Salt Lick". We were very glad that we did.

If you have ever watched the Travel Channel with Adam Rich, you know the Man vs Food guy.  Well, come to find out he had done a show here at the "Salt Lick". We knew right then we were in for a treat now, for sure.

We were seated and we looked over the menu. This is place is a winery as well, but with a twist. It is a BYOB as well. So I went out to the car and I got one of the reds that we just bought from "Duchmans".

We ordered our meals and at the suggestion of our waiter I ordered the "Thurman Platter". It was a combo of spare ribs, sausages, brisket, cold slaw, baked beans, Texas toast, and lots of extra sauce. It is delicious! Elise's order had bbq turkey that was excellent. We have died and gone to heaven. It was so good that I ordered a "Thurman Platter" to go. Yes, I did.

We waddled our way to the car, burping as we walked. We are on our way back to San Antonio. We got back to the Springhill Suites and we unloaded the car.

We needed walk a bit more so we went over to Target that is next to the hotel. We walked the aisles and Elise bought some bananas and I bought a banana smoothie for tomorrow's breakfast.

We are back in our room. We are watching TV and enjoying a Jack and Coke. I just had to dig into some of the "Thurman Platter" that we brought back with us. I also ordered a peach cobbler as well for dessert. We sampled it and it is delicious! I am going to have to diet big time when we get back to Tucson, and so will Elise.

We had to call it a night. It was a good day in Austin, Texas. Burp! Excuse me, please!!

Jim's Menu

Pioneer woman firing a canon

Downtown Austin

Capital  of Texas

Capital bldg in Austin.

No comments:

Buongiorno!

Buongiorno! HERE IS MY LOUNGING BUDDY FROM YESTERDAY ON THE FRONT PORCH! Mood: Blessed! Music listening to: You Are Everything by the Chi-Li...